Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Spring Parks Tour 2006




Click here to view photo album





I have just returned from a 5-day 353 miles tour of Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks as well as eastern Idaho. Fortunately, the weather was beautiful.

Day 1 - 65 miles from my cabin in Wilson, WY to Flagg Ranch in the Rockefeller Memorial Parkway between the Tetons and Yellowstone. There were a a couple of showers early in the day but I managed to stay dry. Took a nice break for lunch on the dock at Jenny Lake. Afternoon breaks yielded great views from Jackson Lake Dam and again further north along the lake before finishing for the night. Two moose greeted me after dinner. The night was so clear, I decided to sleep under the stars.

Day 2 - 82 miles from Flagg Ranch to West Yellowstone, MT. When I woke up in the morning it was quite frosty. My 32 degree bag and long underwear barely keeping me warm. After 2 miles, I crossed into Yellowstone. In the first 40 miles, there were three crossings of the Continental Divide. Needless to say, I spend most of the morning climbing. By the time I ate my lunch in front of Old Faithful, the day had warmed enough for shorts and a t-shirt. In the afternoon, I continued to marvel at the thermal features of the park while riding towards West Yellowstone. Along the way I saw many bison, elk, and even a bald eagle. Several of the bison were blocking the road. I spend the night in the Gallatin National Forest just outside of West Yellowstone. Throwing a bear bag in a lodgepole pine forest can be quite difficult. Again it remained clear and I slept under the stars.

Day 3 - 100 miles from West Yellowstone to Driggs, ID. The day started with one final crossing of the Continental Divide, Targhee Pass. It was much more mellow than yesterdays climbs. There was then almost 50 miles of flat or gently inclining terrain. It made for a quick morning and a final descent into Teton Valley before stopping for lunch in Ashton, ID. Around this area, the Tetons started to come into view again. But there were many miles of potato farms and rolling hills between us. I took an afternoon nap from the hot sun in the shade of an old grain elevator. I finished the longest day of the trip at my friend Matt's place in Driggs, ID. After dinner and a fire in the backyard, we again slept under the stars.

Day 4 - 71 miles from Driggs to Snake River Canyon. Things started a little slower today. I was a bit sore from yesterday's effort and it was hard to get off the soft couch. After breakfast in Driggs, I headed down the bike path to Victor. Ascending Pine Pass led to a long downhill along Pince Creek into Swan Valley for one of their "famous" square scoops of ice cream. Here I rejoined the Snake River that I had left behind in southern Yellowstone. Riding past the large Palisades dam of the Minidoka Project, I continued on to Alpine, WY. The town pavilion offered refuge for my afternoon shaded nap. I was now entering familiar terrain, having previously ridden the Snake River Canyon. About 10 miles upriver I stopped for the night as the only occupant of a National Forest Campground. Lying under the stars by the river lulled me to sleep.

Day 5 - 35 miles from Snake River Canyon to Wilson. Last night was the warmest night yet. Continuing up the canyon, I relaxed in the sun at Hoback Junction with a juicy orange and the morning paper. A final 25 miles through Jackson and I was back home in Wilson.

All in all, a wonderful trip filled with wildlife, dramatic views, and excellent weather.

Jon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home