Monday, October 16, 2006

Desert Rain

We have finally left the Pacific Coast. After about 1600 miles riding along the ocean we have turned towards Florida and Key West. Almost immediately we entered the desert. We have spent the last couple of days in Joshua Tree National Park. Among others, we were joined by my friend Dr. Chickadee from the Appalachian Trail. The landscape is amazingly dry. But there is still abundant growth. The Joshua Trees, a relative of the yucca, are everywhere here, yet no where else.
Funny thing is that it rained as we approached the park. I thought it never rains in the desert. According to the park visitors center, Joshua Tree has received 0.58 inches of rain this year. And that is after the quarter inch or so that fell on us. What gives?
We plan to leave Twentynine Palms this afternoon after things cool down a bit and start towards Parker. Next services about 120 miles. We hope to put in a long day and do most of it tomorrow.

Jon

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 17, 2006 7:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello jon, i came across your blog from googling "natkin" on the net. this is beautiful! my name is Miriam Natkin and i live in Israel,my dad is Thomas natkin who grew up in conneticut too, are we related???

 
At Tuesday, October 17, 2006 11:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you guys already. It was nice to feel like part of a big adventure again!

Anyway, good news re: meeting with my advisor-- working in the alpine got the green light, and I may get to have fun with matrices (oh, how I love matrices). . .

Doc

 
At Saturday, October 21, 2006 9:00:00 AM, Blogger Jon said...

Hi Miriam, Perhaps you know my grandfather David Natkin. Send me an email through the contacts page and we can discuss more.
Jon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home